| Island Thyme - Waheke Island |
Last Easter I tasted the best hot cross buns that I have ever eaten. And I must emphasise that I have eaten a LOT of hot cross buns in my time. In an attempt to recreate that doughy heaven I have unearthed a number of recipes and I am planning a cookery-fest this weekend to see if I can get anywhere near that taste.
What was the big deal about these hot cross buns? Well, it might have been the setting - I was staying in a bach (beach house) on Waheke Island in New Zealand - but I think I could have been standing in the middle of a bog and I would have enjoyed my first bite into that hot cross bun.
Local knowledge
The buns were on sale at a coffee shop on Waheke Island called Island Thyme www.islandthyme.co.nz. This little cafe was in itself a beauty and we had already enjoyed some of the finest coffee and best pastries there but I knew something was afoot when the locals began ordering their hot cross buns two days before Good Friday.
Observing this, I thought I had better get in on the act and put an order in. My Australian travelling companion thought I was mad - 'mate, they are just little buns!' but my partner understood completely - I just love eating the right thing in the right place and this cafe was the perfect place to eat a hot cross bun on Good Friday.
Burning off the cals
I ran to the cafe on Good Friday morning to collect my order - might as well burn some calories! But when I got there the news was bad. The baker had suffered a blow out on his van. The buns would be late!! There were a few disgruntled people but on the whole the cafe was just doing a good trade in people deciding to have a coffee while they waited. I just went for a slightly longer run.
Four miles later and the van had arrived. People were patiently waiting as the shop assistants called out names and held out brown paper bags that were already looking slightly transluscent as the hot cross buns gently released their spicy heat from within.
My turn came and I took the bag with a barely suppressed excitement. I was hungry anyway but the two mile run back to the bach was torturous. I could smell the hot cross buns, I could feel the heat and my legs wouldn't go fast enough.
But, I got back and to humour me my travelling companions had set the table and their was hot coffee and a dish of butter waiting for me. We sat down and prepared our buns. Aussie Kate, plain with no butter. Jet, buttered and cut into quarters. Me, cut in half and big slices of butter (no melting allowed).
| Possibly the best hot cross buns in the world |
It is difficult to encapsulate the first taste. The bread was light; the currants and raisins were sweet and juicy; the spices were perfectly balanced and on the top was a lovely sticky glaze that contrasted with the cosiness of the dough. The decorative cross was crunchy and had a nice yeasty taste. Pure heaven and one of my enduring memories of that trip.
I have a number of recipes, including one from New Zealand. If any of these come close to the Isle Thyme offering I will post here in triumph.
No comments:
Post a Comment